My children requested to have some chicken nuggets for dinner, but rather than making the usual, I wanted it to be different and cut the chicken in smaller pieces. And rather than serving them plain or dipping them in the sauce, I opted to coat the chicken with the sauce.
Well, they loved it! And I agree. These little chicken bites were so delicious I can’t help but share. 🙂 ❤
Tangy Mustard Sauce with a Kick
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise + 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup French Classic yellow mustard
- 1/8 cup orange juice + 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons Sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons liquid sugar in the raw (see Notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 dashes of ground black pepper
- 4 organic chicken thighs, cut in small bite pieces
- 3/4 Plain Kefir (See Notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric spice
- 1/2 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon spice
- 1/2 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unbromated unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds
- Oil for frying
- Make the mustard sauce first and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine Kefir, turmeric spice, Sesame oil, cinnamon spice, salt and pepper, and hoisin sauce.
- Add the uncooked chicken into the bowl with Kefir mixture. Marinade the chicken for at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornstarch, Sesame seeds and all-purpose flour; set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and leave at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken one at a time into the bowl with the flour mixture and coat. Place on a tray. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Heat a fryer or a medium sauce pan with oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken in small batches and fry until golden brown.
- Place in a bowl lined with paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- In a separate large bowl, add half of the cooked popcorn chicken. Add as much Tangy Mustard sauce you want into the bowl with chicken. Toss to coat.
- Serve immediately as an appetizer or with your favorite starch and vegetables.
- If liquid sugar is unavailable, you can use honey instead. However, this recipe is called for a combination of both the honey and liquid raw sugar. So, you might need to adjust the taste since honey is sweeter than the liquid sugar.
- I used Kefir in this recipe, but you can also use buttermilk if Kefir is unavailable.
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try. They’re really delicious; great for children and adults alike; great to serve at children’s party too. 🙂
Thanks again for stopping by. I hope you are having a fabulous spring. Don’t forget to Subscribe or Follow to get the latest recipes. Please be kind and mention my blog or link back to source if you plan to use or share any of my recipes. Thank you and have a wonderful, blessed Easter from our family to yours!
28 thoughts on “Popcorn Chicken”
Pingback: Thai Noon - Belly Joy
A great idea, Anna, and a much healthier choice for your kids. You control the ingredients and know exactly what they’re getting. Your kids don’t realize how lucky they are to have you as their Mom. They will. 🙂
So sorry to have missed this message of yours, John. Thank you kindly for your generous compliments. With my sons’ allergies, I have to know what they’re getting to avoid life threatening situations. Thanks for the frequent visits and leaving comments. John. Have a great week.
This is so mouth watering, Anna. 😀
Hi, Jhuls! Wow! I can’t believe I have so many unanswered comments. Sorry for my delayed response. Thank you for the compliment, Jhuls. I hope you are doing well. 🙂
I am well, Anna! Thank you for the wishes! I wish you the same. ❤
Thanks, Jhuls. I’m working on the award that you passed along. Sorry, it’s taking a while. 😀
Anna, this looks very good. My sons will love it!! The recipe is going to one ‘wife’ and one ‘girlfriend,’ tomorrow. Thank you!! 🙂
Oh my, thank you, Kim. It’s my pleasure. I am so glad you stopped by. I hope they will enjoy it as much as we did. It was really delicious. I heard non-stop compliments from my family. 🙂
Boys, 26 & 28. They will go crazy for it. And, their ‘women’ will love me (you) because of it!!
Oh, wow! I hope so, Kim 🙂
Oh, I’m so glad. Thanks, Kim 🙂
My youngest son’s girlfriend has already made it for him. They ‘love it!!! Thank you, Anna.
Yay! I am so glad they loved it! The pleasure’s all mine, Kim. Thank you too! God bless! 🙂
I think my son’s girlfriend may even bring a batch over on, “Mother’s Day.” 🙂
Oh, how kind of her! She must be a good cook. Speaking of Mother’s Day, you get pampered and you get to taste her cooking too. 😀 Have a wonderful Mother’s Day celebration, Kim. Have a blessed weekend. 🙂
You too, Anna. Lot’s of babies will be here on Sunday. So much fun!! “Grandpa” is grilling out, no cooking for me. 🙂
Thank you, Kim. Oh, it sounds like it’s going to be a great day! Enjoy, Kim. Best regards to all your family. God bless! 🙂
Thank you, Anna. Wrapping little presents for the ‘other’ mothers in my family. Can not wait for them to get here, to rock the babies in my arms….:) Enjoy your day, Anna.
so pleased you posted this, will prepare it with my children! thanks 🙂
Oh, thank you! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Happy Easter to you and your family. And thanks for stopping by. 🙂
Happy Easter to you too 🙂
Thank you so much. I hope yours was a blessed one. 🙂
Yes Anna is great idea
Thank you, Amal! It’s great to see you here. Have a lovely evening! 🙂
It’s wonderful that your children not only enjoy good, home cooked food – but meals with so many flavors and spices. Good little patates. 🙂
Hello, Dearest Shanna! Yes, I think I’m spoiling them with all these home cooked meals. 😀 They think mommy can whip up anything. Good thing I know how to cook. 😀 Great you stopped by, Shanna. Thank you so much. Enjoy your evening! 🙂